A couple of weeks ago a reader requested a baked beans recipe. Here is one that my family loves.
- 2 lbs navy beans, canned, drained
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 2 medium white onions, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 20 oz water
- 1/2 cup your favorite bourbon
- 1/2 cup cola
- 1 box dark brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 4 Tbsp BBQ sauce
- 6 Tbsp molasses
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp Sriracha
- Take the beans and cook them in a pot on simmer until tender for about 45 minutes.
- Drain the beans and set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pot cook the bacon until crispy.
- Add the diced onions and peppers and sauté until soft.
- Add the beans, water, bourbon, coke, brown sugar, ketchup, BBQ sauce, molasses, tomato paste, Sriracha
- Bring everything to a low boil for about an hour stirring frequently and then simmer for 2 hours.
- Turn the heat off and let it sit on the stove for about 2 hours to cool, then refrigerate overnight
Now here is the cheat, transfer the beans to a crock pot on high and heat for another 4 hours and then they will be ready to enjoy!