For a lazy Sunday, stuffed French toast is a great way to enjoy a brunch. Normally I use my wife’s homemade bread, but she has been busy with school and had not had a chance to make bread.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- Cream cheese softened
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups half and half cream
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal (for crunch)
- 4 oz maple syrup
- 1 oz bourbon
- 1 tbsp butter (for cooking)
- Warm the maple syrup.
- Mix the maple syrup and bourbon together and set aside.
- Spread the cream cheese on the wheat bread
- Put the covered slices together like you were making a sandwich
- Set aside
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch (One of my favorite cereals)
- Crush and put onto a plate
- This would be a good time to place the cast-iron pan on the stove and heat to medium.
- Beat the eggs with the half and half until thoroughly mixed
- Add to the egg mixture the cinnamon and sugar
- Set aside
- Take the sandwich you made with the cream cheese and bread and dip it into the egg mixture. Make sure to coat both sides with the egg mixture.
- Take the egg covered bread and place it in the crushed mixture of the cereal. Make sure to completely coat the bread with the cereal.
- In the preheated pan, add the butter and coat the bottom of the pan.
- Place the covered sandwiches in the pan.
- Cook until golden brown, then flip over and cook on the other side until golden brown.
- Slice and serve with the warmed bourbon maple syrup.
Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee.